So we ending up taking Ethan to the ER last night. He had been throwing up since Sunday night and started to run a high fever (104). We gave him some Tylenol and water and waited a hour, but the fever didn't come down. As we were getting him ready to go to the hospital he threw up again. That was another sign that it was time to go.
It has snowed a little bit and Andrew said the roads were slippery. They were a little icy and I ran into an accident on 469 which blocked all the traffic both ways for about 30 minutes. Now I was doing fine and trying to be really patient, praying for the traffic to free up. I started to panic when 10 minutes turned into 20 into 30 and then Ethan started to fall asleep. It was 11 o'clock and he really hadn't slept all day. But I was also thinking he was running a fever of 104.5 and he threw up the Tylenol before we left. Just about the time I was ready to do some off roading, God answered our prayers and the traffic started creeping.
We finally arrived at Dupont Hospital and had about 10 minutes in the waiting room. They took us back and checked Ethan over. His fever was down to 102. They did a swab to get a white blood cell count and started an IV with fluids. The nurse was so good and was talking to Ethan about what she was going to do, but he had no idea, until she stuck him. He looked at me and said "mommy ouchy it hurts" and of course started crying. It was so hard to watch my little boy be in pain and not be able to do anything about it. He did so good and only cried for a little bit, the new Thomas train I brought might have helped. Of course we had Bunny there to help too. He did complain for a little bit about it hurting but went to sleep about 10 minutes after that.
They came back (around 12:45) with the results of the swab and said his white blood cell were very elevated. They wanted to check for his appendix. This would involve getting a sleeping 4 year old to drink half of a water bottle mix with stuff that tasted bad. As you can image it didn't go over very well with Ethan. He did pretty good and really tried hard to get it down. It took him about 10 minutes and he had it almost down, when he threw it all up. I thought if we have to start it again, we are leaving. I couldn't go through that again. It was so hard to see him struggling and just wanting to go home to his bed. After we got him cleaned up and they gave him a nice warm blanket, he settled down and went back to sleep. He didn't have to drink any more, just wait 1 and 1/2 hours and then they would do a CT scan. So I grabbed a Diet Coke (with caffine) and watched some HGTV. The time went by pretty quick.
Once again the poor child got woke up this time by his bed moving and going into the bright lights of the hallway. Then to a room with a huge CT machine (thankfully it was like a big donut, open kind). He was so tired and really didn't want to lay on the bed, but he tuffed it out and they got the scan they needed. Then back to the room and back to sleep for Ethan. Out to the refrig and another Diet Coke for me as we waited for the test results.
They came back with a normal appendix and said he has a bad case of a stomach virus. His fever did go back to normal and he was feeling pretty good with all the fluids they gave him. So home and to bed for both of us.
Andrew was nice enough to stay home from hunting this morning so I could sleep in, even though I told him to go. It was a long night since we got home around 4:20 am and Elisea was just waking up for her 4am feeding. I feed her and then headed to bed around 5am. I got about 4 hours of sleep and then right back into the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment