Tuesday, December 15, 2009

We are just 11 days from Jesus Birthday and the year is coming to a close quickly. This is our last full we of school for the year. We will continue to do some reading and working on school, but in a more relaxed fashion during Andrew's vacation. Speaking of vacation it starts in 1 week with a bang or maybe I should say a splash.....the water park! To say the kids are excited would be an understatement! Then home for our Christmas Eve service, which we are all really excited about. Ethan is very excited because we have communion and is really starting to grasp the symbolism.

This Christmas season has been focused only on the Savior's birth. The only talk of Santa remind the kids that he is a made up person. Ethan renamed him Sam. We have been doing a little bit of advent, mainly looking back through the old testament to see how everything was leading up to God sending his son as the promised King, Messiah, Deliverer. We have also been reading the passages from Isaiah and the Gospels that tell of Jesus birth. It has been a great way to prepare our heart for Christmas.

Back to school details.
I have started a number recognition workbook with Elizabeth and she is doing great with it. After the first of the year I'm going to start some letter recognition with her. I found a Princess workbook, I think she will like that. She just finished working on alot of cutting pages and can cut right on the line now. Elizabeth spends most of her day with a stack of books all "comfy" with blankets. She is also starting to play alot with her ponies and Strawberry Cakes. Play like "Oh how are you today Strawberry and this ponies name is flower". I enjoying listening to her imagination at work.

Ethan is still plugging ahead on reading. He is getting very good and is working really hard. It is challenging for him, but I love to see him work hard at it. We had to have a little talk about not giving up and working our hardest all the time. Colossians 3: 17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Farther through him." Has been a great reminder for all of us. I just cann't say enough about the improvement in his coloring and drawing. It is amazing, even Mrs. Schmitz (other Sunday School teacher) has commented on it. Ethan is struggling a little on finding things to occupy his time. He would love if I would just drop everything and play with him all day. I would love that too, but it isn't going to happen. He is definitely not the self-entertainer that Elizabeth is.

Elisea seems to be more like Elizabeth, happy to find a toy and play quietly by herself. She has a few new words; pie, car, tractor, yay (for yes). She also will point to the kids on the potty and say "poop", cute I know.

Elizabeth's funny for the week is after falling looking at me and saying "I not cry mom, I tough" and of course my favorite "whoops-a-daisy". Being that Elizabeth is not real graceful we here these alot around here.

Ethan was talking about his sisters the other day and I said you love your sisters don't you? "Yeap" was his reply, why do you love them? "Because God gave them to me" I love that!

No comments: