Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Staph Infection....Really

For 3 days we have been watching this rash on Ethan's face spread. It showed up on Friday will just some red bumps around his mouth. I thought it must be related to running a high fever all week. Since the fever dropped I thought he was getting better. Yesterday after we saw it was moving from just around his mouth up towards his eyes, we decided it was time to call the doctor. We had a 3:30 appointment, but when he woke up at 2:30 crying unstoppable from pain, I loaded up everyone and headed to the doctor. Andrew was hunting, which was planned because neither of us thought it would be as bad as it turned out to me. He was crying from pain all the way to doctors, in the waiting room, in the little room, even when the doctor was in there. His lips were so swollen that he couldn't even close his mouth, it looked like he had been punched in the face a few times. The whole way I heard, "I don't want to get another shot (IV), Mommy I cann't close my mouth, Mommy it hurts... and so on. Poor little guy.

Lucky for us the doctor was on time and they even took us in early. He said he has a staph infection and put him on a 10 antibiotics and some steroid cream. They gave him some motrin which helped with the pain. When we were waiting for the RX I got him an milkshake, which helps with the pain too I guess. He is very contagious though, so we will be spending Thanksgiving home. He is doing much better today and it looks like the cream is helping, but the rash is still there. Poor Ethan, 2 rough weeks in a row.

So since we are spending Thanksgiving here, I went out and got all the fixings. I have never cooked a turkey, but I think I can handle it...we have a fire extinguisher just in case. :)

2 comments:

Faith said...

Hey Adelphia, It's Faith Witzig. We were SO sorry to hear about Ethan and that we won't get to spend Thanksgiving with you guys!! Just wanted you to know that we'll be praying for you guys, and all of you will be very missed on Thursday!! Give Ethan a big hug for us!

Busy1 said...

Hey, first off, love your blog template. Looks way cool! Secondly, I'm sorry that your Thanksgiving is going to be spent differently than you had planned. I know how disappointing that can be -- but I do pray that the Lord will give you all a good day as a family with many blessings to share!