Sunday, August 23, 2009

Timber.......

Andrew thought cutting down the huge oak tree in our yard would be a good weekend project. It did turn into 2 full days worth of work. Andrew rented a lift and started at the top and worked his way down. Everything was falling right where he wanted it to, until he got to dropping the whole tree top. He cut the slice out and then started to cut on the other side so it would fall. The kids and I were watching from the safety of the kitchen. I saw it starting to come towards the house just as Andrew yelled "um Adelphia". I quickly got the kids away from the window and turned on PBS so I could go help Andrew outside. After so REALLY tense moments we got a rope tied around the top of the tree, the lift moved out of the way, and the rope hooked up to the tractor. With one good pull the tree landed right between the pear trees, no damage to anything. "Thank you Lord!" was our joyous reply. The base of the tree fell nicely down with a bang and then it was clean up time. It took us most of the rest of the day to cut and haul the tree to the wood pile. Ethan was such a big helper and worked hard all day with his green wagon. Another task off Andrew's list. I got a ton of pictures, but the camera was acting up and deleted all of them. Ahhh... technology is such a wonderful thing.

Of course it wasn't all work and no play. We had a huge fire with "hogs"and "mellows" as Elizabeth calls them....Hot dogs and marshmallows.

No comments: