Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Our busy week

It has been a busy couple of weeks for everyone. I have been "declutterizing" (is that a word?) the house for the last two weeks. I'm in the "if we haven't used it in a year, it is out of here" mode. The results have been great and Good Will has gotten 2 big truck loads from the Hawk household. I also traded some toys in for some newer ones at the used toy store in New Haven. It worked out perfectly, and finished up my Christmas shopping for the kids. The cleaning out has also made the kids new favorite place "The Cave" (the emptied out big long closet). They have taken it over with their sleeping bags and stuffed animals. It is great to see their imaginations at work in their cave.

This week for school we are focusing on the First Thanksgiving. We are reading books about Pilgrim and Indians, thanksgiving, and thankfulness. Lots of fun crafts! Yesterday we focused on Indians, so we made headdresses and picked out Indian names. The headdresses turned out cute and the names were very fitting;
Ethan is Roaring Lion
Elizabeth is Naughty Raccoon
Elisea is Noisy River (I picked that one)
Andrew is Mighty Mountain
I'm Whispering Wind

Their headdresses and Indian names entertained the the rest of the morning. They would their headdresses and say "quick head to the cave (the closet)".

I am seeing so much growth in Ethan over the pass few months. He is doing a great job coloring and really works hard at his pages. He is also doing great with letter sounds. He has read a few Abeka readers with a little help, but is very close to reading them on his own. His list of sight words are growing every day.

Elizabeth has the alphabet down cold as well has shapes and counting. She has also improved on her coloring.

I was pretty frustrated last week trying to school with Elisea awake and in the school room, but I think I have found a schedule that works. I was talking with a lady at church on Sunday who just had a baby. She is also struggling with finding the right time to do homeschooling. She was telling me that she is just doing a little spread out through the day. I thought this could work for us, and is has this week. It has been alot let stressful and I'm enjoying the homeschooling time again.

===============================================

Here a few funny things I want to record,

This has been Elizabeth prayer this week... "Pray for Grandma Becky she gets her mommy and daddy"

Ethan read the word green today and I asked, "how did you know that word". Ethan replied "because I'm smart"

Elisea caming running out the school room Monday with her hand behind her back and a smile on her face. As she ran pass me I noticed she was hiding on of Elizabeth's markers.

Lastly, I want to know how you talk seriously to a naughty girl who comes to the top of the stairs in a crown, princess dress, wand, and high heels.

1 comment:

Busy1 said...

Okay, so I thought of you today and in a way I think you will appreciate. :-) Rachelle Connor and I decided to head to Ft Wayne to Jefferson Pointe to buy some christmas gifts. Since the kids were doing so well, we had also planned to do something fun for them so we put the Science Central address into the GPS and away we went. As we were getting closer, I told her how you and i had met up there only to find out they were closed. We were both expressing how excited we were that we could get in today...until we pulled into the parking lot and there was only one car there. "Oh no, not again, why aren't there any cars here Rachelle?" Probably because they are closed on monday and tuesday..... We both just started laughing until we realized that Morgan was crying in the back seat. Guess where I took us all to play for about an hour?? Yeah, a really great park right around the corner....